Automatically assign audio objects

Hi!
Quick question: Is there a way to automatically assign a device with the next available (not otherwise used) audio object. Talking about a range of maybe 15 to 20…
Thanks

w

Hi Werner,

There might be a few things to try depending on exactly what you want to achieve.

If you have a set of objects that you’d like to add to the scene as new devices are connected, I think the simplest way would be to use an “Allowed If” custom behaviour, with the joining number used as the metedata that the condition acts on (see documentation here).

Might look something like this — the object that you added this behaviour to would only be allowed to play on the 2nd device that was connected. So you could add a similar behaviour to each of your objects, with different device numbers specified. (I should point out that the main device has joining number = 1, so the first aux device is joining number = 2, and so on.)

Based on your description, I think that that might do the trick — but let me know if not. There’s normally a way to achieve what you want, but sometimes it takes a bit of thought.

You might also consider looking into the exclusive behaviour (which means that an object is not allocated to devices that are already playing other objects, and that no other objects can be added to the device to which it is allocated).

Hope that helps.

Jon

Thanks Jon!
Yeah, that’s what I’ve been figuring out from the documentation, too.
Set it up like that and it seems to work (at least for the five devices I have at hand here for the moment).
By the way: occasionally (like just now, or last weekend)) I do run into an error trying to start a session. The index page shows up, however.
This happens no matter if its the local app preview, an intranet server or an external stage server.

Seems like, the page tries to acces some external ressources or services that are temporailiy not availabe.

Best regards

w

Set it up like that and it seems to work (at least for the five devices I have at hand here for the moment).

Great!

Seems like, the page tries to acces some external ressources or services that are temporailiy not availabe.

Yes, that’s right — the application looks for the synchronisation service that we host, so what you’re experiencing might be temporary downtime of that service, or a slow connection timing out. Best to just try again, and if it’s happening persistently then let us know on here and we can investigate.

Thanks,
Jon

Cool, that answers my question, too. Can I safely assume that if device #2 (out of, let’s say, 10) drops out, the next device that logs on later will become #2? Or do the other devices change their numbers on the fly (and therefore also their sounds)?
Hans

Hi @HansTammen,

Devices that join will keep getting assigned increasing joining numbers — so in your first scenario, if there are 10 devices and device 2 drops out, the next device to join will have joining number = 11.

But there’s also a property called current number, which adjusts as the devices change. So if there are 10 devices and device 2 drops out, device 3 becomes device 2, and the new device joining would then be device 10.

(See here in the documentation.)

There isn’t currently anything that makes new devices “fill in” the gaps that are left by devices dropping out. But that’s an interesting thought. Is that something that would be useful for what you want to achieve?

Thanks,
Jon

Yes, it would be very useful. I don’t want to interrupt the experience, so I’d use the “joining number” feature. However, as people may drop in & out constantly as it so happens in sound installations, we may run out of sounds quickly. So filling in the gaps would help!
Thanks!

I can see how that might be useful to have — I’ll add it to our list of open issues but can’t guarantee when/if it might be implemented.

In the meantime, I suspect there might be other ways to achieve something quite similar. One thought that jumps to mind is using the Preferred If custom behaviour for determining which objects go where, so that if you have a device with the correct joining number, that’s favoured, but if you don’t, the object can still get allocated.

Very happy to discuss further if you want to go into a bit more detail on what audio objects you have and how you’d like them to be assigned.

Jon