Clicking in audio files

Hi,

I noticed some clicking in my audio files. I tested out a couple of projects, and can’t figure out when & why specific projects are affected, and others not. I tried different sample & bit rates, volume levels, devices, high & low tones, better internet connection… but I can’t notice that anything changes. Long tones seem to be more affected than shorter ones. Here’s an example of some test tones: testing, here’s a real project where I realized it first: Euclidean Horns

I’m running Audio Orchestrator Version 0.16.3 (0.16.3)

Thanks, Hans

Hi Hans,

I noticed some clicking in my audio files.

Thanks for sharing these examples, we really appreciate the feedback.

We’ve been aware of a few small rendering glitches, but with most of the content that we’ve worked with, they’re nowhere near as intrusive as in the content you’ve shared—which seems to particularly highlight them.

It’s on our list of things to look at, but please note that we have limited resources to work on this, so can’t guarantee a fix in any particular time-frame, I’m afraid.

I’m running Audio Orchestrator Version 0.16.3 (0.16.3)

By the way, there’s a later version of Audio Orchestrator available (v0.18.0 — change log here). If you’d like to get access to that, please contact the MakerBox team on makerbox@bbc.co.uk.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

thanks for the response. I’ll ask for the new version. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I was looking into drones, that is uninterrupted straight audio. I’ll let you know what the new version does.

Hans

Hi Hans,

Yep, I suspect it’s highlighted by the continuous nature and the spectral content of the audio.

I don’t expect that the latest version of Audio Orchestrator will help with this problem, unfortunately. But I thought I’d just let you know that an update was available anyway.

Thanks,
Jon

I redid another project for the audio orchestrator, and as there’s a lot going on here it seems to be completely fine: balance of power guitarbot
Hans

Hi Hans,

I really enjoyed listening to this piece this morning — I used my laptop and one phone, and the spatial effect worked really well. I might try again later with a few more devices to get the full surround sound effect.

I wonder if it might be worth enabling calibration mode for this project, as accurate sync between the devices is presumably quite important here if they’re being used in place of channels in a surround sound system.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

this is a good point, I’d have to listen to it again for that reason. At that time I was using the loudspeaker orchestra concept, in that sounds were not moving from speaker to speaker. While I could simply distribute the pieces on DVD, I had no control over the actual setup at the venue, as most of them were abroad. Galleries discovered 5.1 at the time, and sometimes put speakers up in weird configurations, or used speakers that didn’t even match.

The loudspeaker orchestra does not necessarily mean that works do not have to be synced, but it does allow for works that may have a delay between devices, and 200ms may not be too much of a problem.

Hans

Hi Jon,

ah, I put another test up a few days ago, this time from an ambisonic recording. So that should require more sync between channels. Have you ever been bouncing around in the back compartment of a moped? ;-))

Between the Earth and Sky

Hans

1 Like

Hi Hans,

Have you ever been bouncing around in the back compartment of a moped?

I have not :slight_smile: But thanks for sharing the experience. Enjoyed this, and again just having a phone or two connected really spread the sound compared to listening just on my laptop speakers.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

hope you enjoyed this. Another question comes to my mind: can I publish these works on my website? This is a beta test, so I’m not sure what the rules are in respect to the works.

So far I have recreated around 10 previous multichannel works (or parts thereof) for the Audio Orchestrator, and would do some outreach this week. Is that ok?

Hans

…plus, my next goal - after the pandemic - is to to a larger installation, in which the audience in the installation space acts as a moving loudspeaker orchestra.

Hans

2 Likes

Hi Hans,

Another question comes to my mind: can I publish these works on my website?

Sorry for the slow reply. As long as it’s for non-commercial purposes (incl. not generating advertising revenue on the site) that will be fine. It would be great if you could mention that they were made using tech from BBC R&D.

If you’re able to show us a preview of what you’ll put on the site and how it’ll be introduced, that would be appreciated. You can get in touch with me directly on jon.francombe at bbc.co.uk.

Looking forward to seeing this — thanks again for engaging with it.

Thanks!
Jon

Hi Jon,

of course!

I’ll send you the link when the site is ready.

Hans