EPS v0.7.0 head-tracker compatibility feedback

Posted on behalf of Matt Firth:

With the release of v0.7.0 of the EPS, we are keen to gather feedback on head-tracker compatibility with the new Binaural Monitoring plug-in, whether good or bad so we can broaden our support.

The Binaural Monitoring plug-in supports 3DoF (three degrees-of-freedom). It is compatible with OSC message formats used by other third-party spatial audio plug-ins, including SPARTA/COMPASS, IEM, 3D Tune-In Toolkit, Ambix plug-ins, AudioLab SALTE, and Mach1 Monitor. Therefore, any head-tracker which is compatible with any of those plug-ins should also be compatible with the EAR Production Suite Binaural Monitoring plug-in. Note that you will need to ensure the Binaural Monitoring plug-in is listening for messages on the correct port using the control within the user interface, and enabled using the switch control.

If you arrived here looking for a low-cost DIY head-tracking solution for use with the Binaural Monitoring plug-in, consider the nvsonic Head-Tracker. This was the head-tracker used during development of the plug-in and should function using any of the presets for the third-party spatial audio plug-ins listed above.

Hi
I’ve installed the latest EPS version and am running inside Reaper on a Mac. I’m trying to send some OSC messages from TouchOSC on my iOS device to the Binaural Monitoring to test whether the commands work (before building a DIY head-tracker).
I get a ‘Connection Error’ when I attempt to enable the OSC control in the Binaural Monitoring, although when I added my iPhone as an OSC device in the Reaper preferences, it was able to ‘Listen’ and monitor OSC messages coming in. So it seemed that although Reaper was able to see the OSC commands, the Binaural plug-in could not.
I’m happy to investigate further on other forums if this is a Reaper issue, but if the ‘Connection Error’ is actually something I need to set up properly in the Binaural plug-in then do let me know,

Great work, anyway!

Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,
This message occurs when the plug-in can not open the port. This is usually because something else is holding the port open already - it could be another plug-in or REAPER itself if you have it configured to listen on that port. Just ensure nothing else is using the port (including disabling and OSC configs in REAPER that would be causing REAPER itself to hold it open) and it should rectify the problem.
Hope that helps - Thanks for trying out the new version!